Ah, Halloween. Stores are stocked up on fake spiders, scary masks and tableware in pumpkin shape. Invitations for dress up parties fill your mailbox and ‘if you please can ban bring some food or drinks yourself.’ No stress, what about these quick, mini vegan apple pies?
Ok, I’m not sure if that’s how it goes. I’ve never done Halloween, but I know it from the movies (I feel so stupid saying this haha). Punch with eyeballs, cheese sticks shaped like fingers… I mean, I can do that.
I thought it would be fun to make some kind of pumpkin apple pies, but I don’t have a pumpkin cookie cutter. So I just drew a pumpkin on some parchment paper, cut it out and used it as a mold for the dough. Works (almost) just as fine!
If you want to do the same, I found this a pretty good mold.
The best thing about these mini apple pies is that you only need four ingredients. With puff pastry, apples, cinnamon and some plant milk you can make these within a couple of minutes. Of course, you’re free to add whatever. Examples are raisins, nuts and/or seeds. If you want to make it extra special, serve the mini apple pies with some vegan ice cream. Thank me later.
4 ingredient vegan Halloween apple pies
- puff pastry* (I used 4 squared sheets for 5 mini pies)
- 1-2 large apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- plant milk (I used soy)
- Preheat your oven to 200C or 400F.
- Use a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter or mold to cut out pumpkins of the puff pastry. You want 2 pumpkins per pie (front and back), so if you're making 6 pies, you want 12 pumpkins.
- Carve faces in half of the pumpkins. These will be on the upper side.
- Cut the apples in to small cubes, no more than 1/2 cm each. Combine with the cinnamon and add raisins, nuts and/or seeds if you like.
- Add about a tablespoon of the apple mixture to every back of the pumpkin. It can be less or more, depending on how big your pumpkins are.
- Leave some space on the sides so you can stick the upper side to it. Sprinkle them with plant milk.
- Use a fork to press the dough together on the sides and so that no apple cube can escape.
- Add some plant milk on top for color later and bake the pies for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with some vegan ice cream.
Let me know when you’re trying this recipe!